Sunday, January 4, 2009

Small Mountain Villages in Tanzania

New Years Eve was spent in Lushoto with Yuko, Mr. Lim, some new Swedes (I can't get away from them), and a local Tanzanian. There was nothing going on so we were just at a bar, nothing too exciting. We heard that the whole town, including the Muslims, would be at the Christian Church at midnight but we never saw anyone at the church the whole night. Maybe because in Tanzania the day starts at 6am, when the sun rises, so they are 6 hours behind international time. For example, 3pm is 9am in Tanzania time.


I got to go on a few hikes around Lushoto, there are some great views out here.

Then on New Years Day Yuko, a friend from Japan I met that is volunteering in Tanzania, and I were walking around town and she went into an appliance shop. I followed her and we met a volunteer for the US Peace Corps here in Tanzania, Leigh. I had wanted to meet a Peace Corps volunteer to be linked into their network and see if anyone is interesting is a visitor. Leigh was willing to host Yuko and I for the last three nights in her house in Mbelei, it was great!

So now I take a bus to another Peace Corps volunteer named Theresa. She lives in a small village about 3 hours north of Lushoto called Sunga. I think I'll stay in Tanzania until the first of February and then head back to Mozambique for the last month of my trip.

One of the amazing views from the road I walked down to get to some fresh cheese.


A chameleon, a photo for my Mother who volunteers at the local zoo in Salt Lake City, Utah.


I finally made it to the cheese, black pepper cheese that is.


The sunrise through some trees on another hike.


Stairs from the road down to some houses.


Irente View Point.


Following the local boys up to the higher view point.


Just like the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro!


So you can see the local houses made out of mud and sticks.


Another local house.


The Tanzanian dollar menu, not too shabby.


New Years Eve with Yuko and a girl from Sweden.


Cooking chapati, similar to tortillas, over the charcoal with US Peace Corps volunteer Leigh. She cooks every meal with charcoal like the locals.


Yuko and Leigh with some of the local school girls.


The view from their school.


Yuko taught the girls some self defence moves.


They caught on quickly.

Here in Tanzania the girls have weapons for self defense!

The ultimate test, balancing a heavy uneven load on top of your head. I uploaded the wrong photo, I have one with no hands I swear.

Leigh and I making some of the local corn flour meal Ugali to go with our vegtables for dinner.

4 comments:

Ted said...

Gunthrie! Man, your pictures are amazing. You are living the dream, no doubt about it. It's good to hear from you and see that you are doing well. Papa the Beef had his baby a couple weeks ago. I visited them in the hospital and gave some season ticket holder, portal XX, section 137, row 13, seats 1&2 love from you.

Kristina Louise. said...

dude. looks like you are finding pretty girls to hang out with all over the place. awesome. I'm glad you got to try some ugali!!!

Unknown said...

Paul, again, I am jealous! Your pictures are amazing and I wish so badly to be doing something similar. We missed you at our New Years Eve party!! I told Ted he is not the same Jazz fan with out you. It seems like a part of him is missing. Ha ha Good luck and BE SAFE out there.

Unknown said...

Mmmm, chapati. Not so mmm, ugali. It's ok, I guess, and probably about the cheapest way around to get fill your stomach, right? Your pictures are unbelievable, I am really wishing I were there!!