Monday, December 29, 2008

We spent Christmas in Moshi, Tanzania. I went with the Swedes to the center for street children they volunteer at. It was fun spending time with them, both the kids and the Swedes. That night we made Christmas dinner at the Swedes apartment, good old American pancakes. Then we caught a bus to Dar Es Salaam on Dec. 26 and spent the night with a local, thanks to Kristina, named Esther who was nice enough to pick us up from our hotel, take us to her house for drinks, and take us to a buffet. Who could ask for anything better.

The next day I made a decision to travel by myself and stayed in Dar Es Salaam while the others got on a bus around 5:30am to head south. They all need to be back in Mozambique relatively soon and I have a few months left before I head back so I decided, since the visa entry for Tanzania was $100 for 90 days, I would stay. I miss the group but am excited for the solo time ahead of me. So I got to spend a day with Esther's nieces in Dar Es Salaam. The next day I went to the beach with a friend I met at the YWCA hostel. And on Dec. 29 I caught a bus to Lushoto, Tanzania. It is a town located up high in the mountains, the perfect place to spend New Years!

Me absolutely dominating Pastory at arm wrestling, yes!!


Pastory and Maggie.


My favorite, even though you shouldn't have them, street kid, Pastory and I.


I taught the kids how to make snowflakes.


Maggie with the street kids in front of a beautifully decorated Christmas tree.

The wonderful lunch that was donated to the shelter.


The Swedes (three girls from Sweden) that let us share Christmas dinner with them as long as we cooked them American pancakes, we accepted.


Ali, Chase and Hans throwing down some Christmas pancakes.

Freshly trimmed Paul on Christmas day, thanks Maggie.


Hans, a very strong mountain climber, showing his honor to the Disney movie Lion King by being Rafiki's stunt double. They speak some of the native tongue in the movie that is used in here in Tanzania, Swahili.

I was fortunate enough, thanks Kristina, to have some local hook ups in Dar Es Salaam. They took me to the beach front where we relaxed.


An ocean shot in Dar Es Salaam.


Oh how they love Obama here! If you can believe it, he is even more popular than Derron Williams of the Utah Jazz.

Resting up on Coca Beach in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.


My feet deserved some beach time after climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro.


I was one of four white skin colored people I saw on this beach, it was great!


This is the town I am staying in, Lushoto, Tanzania, for New Years and maybe more. I plan to do some hiking while I'm here.

4 comments:

Kristina Louise. said...

SWEET Uncle Paul! You met "the Professor" Esther! I'm so happy! :) Glad that I could help out a little bit. I'm pretty sure I know which buffet you went to!!! It's her favorite! ha

brit said...

Sounds like you had an awesome Christmas. I heard that the way you spend New Years is how you spend the rest of the year. I hope that means you will spend the rest of the year in the midst of beauty and adventure.

Unknown said...

Haha, your snowflakes SUCK!!! Sounds like a fun Xmas. We missed you; it was weird to have everyone there and not you. John hooked up the monkeys with Huskers outfits - Mazzy's is a little cheerleader's skirt and top! Of course Santa brought Jobe Hot Wheels; Jonah asked for Bakugan and a bell from Santa's sleigh; and Mazzy got a dolly that pees on the potty. We'll see if she finds that inspiring or not. Lowry & I celebrated our 10th anniversary, if you can believe it. It's been a nice week.

Clark said...

Looking good Gunthrie! This post shows the most facial hair I have ever seen on you as well as the most trimmed I have ever seen your face. Katie and I love reading about your adventures. I hope you're having an awesome New Years Eve, and Happy New Year! Katie, Bryson, and Aspen also wish you the best!