Saturday, November 29, 2008

Got game?

I have been having a great time, just living the dream on my African Odyssey. The main two events that come to mind since my last posting are going to a Game Reserve in Swaziland and getting my PADI Open Water Scuba Certification. Below are some photos from the game reserve trip, photos from scuba diving will have to come later. If you want to see some even better photos from the game reserve trip visit Pat-dizzle's blog, the November 26 posting.

It was great to drive in Mozambique by the way, a unique challenge with a standard shift automobile in a location that doesn't drive by any rules on the wrong side of the road. A challenge I like to feel that I almost mastered.


A small sample of the goods for sale.


Wood, rasta, and a chissle, not a bad combination.


The skulls are from rhinos that poachers killed, opens your eyes a little. The horn is crushed up into a powder and sold in the orient to cure impotence.





Our accommodations were pretty sweet, great food, no electricity, and an open air cabin.


This photo is for my mother, a zoo docent. It is a rock monitor and was very impressive.











This last photo was some guys that were selling something on the side of the road. They looked like the rats on The Princess Bride. We didn't have the cash to purchase or the stomach to eat them though.


We leave on December 6 to start our land journey up north to attempt our climb of Mt. Kilimanjaro, near the Tanzania Kenya border. If you look at a world map we will be going a distance about the same as going from the state of Texas north and crossing the US of A border in Montana. Now imagine that trip in Mozambican vehicles, you will see on Patrick's (Pat-dizzle) most recent blog posting that our latest bus drive we averaged just under 17 miles per hour. It should make for some trying times in the transportation let alone climbing the mountain.

We should be climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest point on the African continent at 19,340 feet, around the end of December. I hope my body can handle the altitude, we'll see. So I probably won't be posting again until my return from that trip, so look for something again in January. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

5 comments:

Ted & Kristina said...

Gunthrie. Kristina and I just read your blog. Your trip sounds amazing and we are jealous to very jealous. Although while you were living the dream yesterday in Africa, we saw a 44 point 3rd quarter by the Jazz! Good luck on your climb and the journey getting there.

Ted

Clark said...

Uncle Paul-your trip sounds amazing. I'm so excited you now have your scuba cert and can experience the other 2/3 of the world. Good luck on your journey to mt K. and summiting. Oh the stories you'll tell! Be safe brother man.

SirEdmundHills said...

Damn yo...I love that you have seen so much in so little time already...live it up!!! I think I'm heading out of here and doing something along the same lines as you.

You are my hero when you don't set up my hot lover with other girls!

Kristina Louise. said...

hey Uncle Paul. In Ghana, that animal on the side of the road is affectionately called "grass-cutter"... although it's probably a different animal... I don't recommend it....

brit said...

Awesome pics. Jealous, jealous, jealous!! I hung out with Kelly Kimber this weekend. Good times. Also he told me about your little bet. You could have won if you had only tried harder. Good luck on the climb.